There is a total of 10 Indians in the top 200 of the worlds richest people in the World. To our surprise, there is no woman from in the list representing India. We hope we see Indian women in the Forbes top 200 in the coming years.
Have a look at INDIANS in TOP 200 Richest People:
10. Dilip Shanghvi
ON FORBES LISTS #191 Billionaires 2019
REAL-TIME NET WORTH: $7.8B
- The son of a pharmaceuticals distributor, Dilip Shanghvi borrowed $200 from his father to start Sun Pharma in 1983 to make psychiatric drugs.
- The company is the world’s fourth-largest specialty generics maker and India’s most valuable pharma outfit with March 2018 revenues of $3.6 billion.
- He grew Sun through a series of acquisitions, the biggest of which was the 2014 purchase of scandal-tainted rival Ranbaxy Laboratories for $4 billion.
- His fortune was hit when Sun’s shares fell in January 2019 after a whistleblower reported alleged corporate governance lapses to the market regulator.
|SOURCE OF WEALTH:||:||Pharmaceuticals, Self Made|
|NUMBER OF FAMILY MEMBERS:||:||3|
|EDUCATION:||:||Bachelor of Arts/Science, Calcutta University|
Our story is all about incremental growth. We’re not looking for big leaps; we prefer small jumps. – Dilip Shanghvi
9. Gautam Adani
ON FORBES LISTS #167 Billionaires 2019
REAL-TIME NET WORTH: $11.8B
- Ports tycoon Gautam Adani controls Mundra Port, India’s largest, in his home state of Gujarat.
- His $12 billion (revenue) Adani Group’s interests span power generation and transmission, real estate and commodities.
- Adani owns Abbott Point, a controversial coal mining project in Australia, whose Carmichael coal mine is billed as one of the world’s largest.
- In August 2018, Adani completed the $2.6 billion acquisition of Anil Ambani-owned Reliance Infrastructure’s power business in Mumbai.
- Adani has entered the petrochemicals sector in a $2.6 billion joint venture with Germany’s BASF and has also won bids to run 6 domestic airports.
|SOURCE OF WEALTH:||:||Commodities, ports, Self Made|
|NUMBER OF FAMILY MEMBERS:||:||7|
Being an entrepreneur is my dream job as it tests ones tenacity. I could never take orders from anyone. -
8. Cyrus Poonawalla
ON FORBES LISTS #147 Billionaires 2019
REAL-TIME NET WORTH: $10B
- Best of Johnny Depp Movies List: Top 10 Movies Johnny Depp Ever Did
- Asim Riaz vs Sidharth Shukla: Analyse who is right and how others are using the situation!
- Shahrukh khan Achievements: How big is THE Shahrukh Khan?
- Why Tata Motors? Tata Cars vs Other Car manufacturers
- INDIANS in TOP 200 Richest People of World 2019
- Son of a racehorse breeder, Cyrus Poonawalla founded Serum Institute of India in 1966 and built it into one of the world’s largest vaccine makers.
- Serum produces 1.5 billion doses annually of a range of vaccines, including for measles, polio, and flu.
- His U.K.-educated son Adar is Serum’s CEO and helps him run the company.
Serum owns Dutch vaccine maker Bilthoven Biologicals and the Czech unit of U.S. firm Nanotherapeutics.
- In June 2018, Poonawalla was conferred the honorary degree of the Doctor of Humane Letters by the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
|SOURCE OF WEALTH:||:||Vaccines|
|NUMBER OF FAMILY MEMBERS:||:||1|
|EDUCATION:||:||Bachelor of Arts/Science, Pune University; Doctorate, Pune University|
We reach more children than Coca-Cola and PepsiCo can ever hope to. – Cyrus Poonawalla